Colebrookdale Railroad Project – USA
Participate in one of the only US-based railroad restoration programs
The Colebrookdale Railroad, in Boyertown, Pennsylvania, USA, in partnership with Restoration Works, offers one of the only US-based opportunities to join a railroad restoration program. You’ll participate in hands-on restoration tasks, including painting and wood staining (train wheels, lamp posts, train interiors), landscape work, washing train interiors and exteriors. No special skills required – just a willingness to get a little dirty and have a lot of fun. It’s open to all ages (children aged 10-years-old and above; children must travel with a parent/guardian, please).
Located in southeast Pennsylvania, about a 1 ½-hour drive from Philadelphia, Colebrookdale Railroad opened in 1859, connecting the country’s first iron-making sites. Now the cornerstone of an ambitious plan to increase visitors to the region, it operates as an 8.6-mile tourist line as expansion work continues. The railroad’s rehabilitation as a heritage tourist railroad plays a major role in the region’s community and economic development plan, bringing visitor dollars, creating jobs and helping local businesses grow, while preserving a unique and important part of the local culture.
Trip Dates: July 3-8, 2020 and October 9-14, 2020
Arrive in time to join for our Meet and Greet at 8pm. Meet your fellow volunteers over welcome beverages and local treats, and collect your official work t-shirt and swag bag. Members of Colebrookdale RR and Restoration Works International will explain more about their work, your role in this project, and what’s in store for the days ahead.
Arrive at the railroad site in time for our 9am start. We’ll take a tour of the site, meet our crew leaders, and get down to work. We’ll break at 1pm for picnic lunch on site, and then enjoy a tour of downtown Boyertown, and entry to a local historic/art site. Your evening is free.
Arrive at the railroad site in time for our 9am start. We’ll break at 1pm for a picnic lunch on site followed by a behind-the-scenes tour of the historic rail cars and station. Then back to work until 4pm. Your evening is free.
Arrive at the railroad site in time for our 9am start. We’ll break at 1pm for lunch on site, and then back to work until 4pm. Your evening is free.
Arrive at the railroad site in time for our 9am start. We’ll break at 1pm for a picnic lunch on site, and then back to work until 4pm. We will meet back at the railroad (TIME TBA) for our special dinner aboard the train.
Arrive at the railroad site at 9am to take final photos, stop by the gift shop, and say farewell to our new railroad friends before returning to our accommodations for check out.
Learn More or Register to Join One of Our Upcoming Trips
Trip Price: $1,110 per person
Your tour fee includes:
- Five nights’ accommodation with breakfast in Boyertown from Day 1 evening to Day 6 checkout
- All lunches
- Welcome drinks/dessert on Day 1
- Farewell dinner aboard the train
- Bespoke tours of Colebrookdale Railroad and downtown Boyertown
- Early Bird: 15% discount if you register before February 28, 2019 (cannot be combined with other discounts)
- Child under 18 sharing room with parent/guardian: $825
- RWI past participants/alumni: 5% discount
- Colebrookdale members: 5% discount
- Sharing room with a travel partner: $150 off
- Accommodations are booked as single occupancy unless you are traveling with others and would like to share accommodation (both parties are eligible for a shared room discount)
- Children aged 10-17 are welcome (Children sharing a room with parent/guardian are charged $825)
- There is no ADA access
- Restoration Works International and the Colebrookdale Railroad Preservation Trust are registered 501(c)3 non-profit organizations. Tour fees are considered a tax deductible charitable donation for US tax filers. (Please consult your tax advisor.) Volunteer trip fees provide the funds by which we are able to purchase materials, fund programming and provide volunteer lodging, food and activities.
- Reservations are secured with a $300 deposit. The balance is due 60 days prior to the start of the trip. RWI will send an invoice as a reminder.
All participants are responsible for:
- Transportation to the site
- Proof of medical insurance
- A review of our Volunteer Information Pack, which you will receive upon payment of your deposit. It contains important information for pre-preparation, including a packing list and additional information about the site and area.
- Dinners (except the farewell dinner aboard the train), alcohol (except welcome drinks), and incidentals
- Deposits are refundable up to 60 days before Day 1 of the trip, less a $75 administration fee. Sorry, no refunds within 60 days of the tour, but please contact us, as we will help you to rebook another tour.
Extra Hands and Open Hearts
We believe in the value of work as the universal language that connects an individual’s commitment to a group effort, benefiting the larger community. We believe that by bringing people together to restore these historic sites, we provide opportunities to make new friends and help communities proudly celebrate their unique place in the world. Nearly 80% of your trip fee remains in the community, going to project costs, lodging and food. Anyone can join a Restoration Works International trip. No previous construction or building experience is required – just a desire to make a difference in the lives of the local community.
Colebrookdale Railroad Project News
Restoration Works International invites you to a meetup of RWI alumni, supporters, and friends on March 22nd in Washington, DC. We'll be gathering in the serene Dharma Room of the Center for Mindful Living in Tenleytown (because there's no better place to start a Sunday morning.) Come by between 10 [...]
RWI board member and longtime volunteer, Bob Pizzi, has been to every Restoration Works project - multiple times! In his message below, he shares why he is heading back to the Bichli Haveli Project in India for the third time this December, this time as the group leader. "RWI's caring [...]
There are still a few spaces left for our annual Colebrookdale Railroad restoration project this June 28-July 3! Join RWI volunteers as we return to Boyertown, PA, for our second annual trip to Colebrookdale Railroad. We're excited to once again work alongside our partners at Colebrookdale RR Preservation Trust in [...]