India – Bichli Haveli Project
Experience beautiful Rajasthan in the unique RWI way
For over two decades, Restoration Works International has been offering tour participants a remarkable cultural experience exploring the traditions and cultures of the world, with a special emphasis on hands-on service and meaningful relationship building in the communities in which we work.
Our capable tour leaders, small group sizes, and unattainable-experiences-on-your-own are RWI trip attributes that bring our volunteers back time and again. From your arrival to your departure, we take care of the details, so you can make the memories. Our 12-day trips allow you to travel slowly and really get to know the place and its people. And our emphasis on service means you’re no typical tourist – you’ll be giving back in a tangible way that directly benefits the Bichli Haveli community.
On our trips to the Bichli Haveli, we will work with our local partners to restore a 140-year-old haveli (nobleman’s house) into a community resources center as the focal point of a neighborhood renewal program.
The Bichli Haveli project is in one of the world’s most beautiful regions: the Indian state of Rajasthan, and the “White City” of Udaipur. Often called the “Venice of the East,” Udaipur is edged by lakes and hills and punctuated with ancient palaces. It has a rich cultural tradition of architecture, art, and craft that you can explore in depth in the ample free time you have when not volunteering at the project site and participating in the community program.
“Though we didn’t speak the same language as the local crew, we were able to build relationships and work together effectively. What a demonstration of the power of non-verbal communication! The Bichli Haveli Project volunteering experience was heartwarming and will stay with me forever.”
– Andrea, India participant
- December 29, 2017-January 9, 2018 (arrive in Udaipur by afternoon of December 29th and depart on January 9th after breakfast)
- Summer 2018 (to be announced soon)
- Fall 2018 (to be announced soon)
Trip Price: $2950 – 12 Days
Your tour fee includes:
- Pick-up and drop-off from Udaipur’s airport with transport to and from the guesthouse
- Comfortable guesthouse accommodation in Udaipur from evening of Day 1 to the last evening of the trip
- Meals from Day 1 dinner in Udaipur through breakfast on Day 12
- Select tours and recreational activities during your trip dates
Trip Price for Indian Nationals residing in India: $1000
Past Participants/Alumni: 20% discount
Sharing Room with a Travel Partner: $100 off (each)
All participants are responsible for:
- Transportation to Udaipur, India
- Indian visa
- Travel health insurance, including emergency evacuation
- A review of our Volunteer Info Pack, which you will receive upon payment of your deposit. It contains important information for pre-trip preparation including RWI’s packing list and additional information about the site and area.
- All tour fees are a tax-deductible donation in the United States. (Please consult your tax advisor.) Remember — you can also fundraise in order to cover the cost of your trip. Your donors’ contributions are tax-deductible.
- Reservations are secured with a US$500 deposit. The balance is due 45 days prior to your departure date. RWI will send you an invoice as a reminder.
- Tour fees and deposits are refundable up to 90 days before Day 1 of the trip, less a US$75 administration fee. Tour fees are 50% refundable up to 50 days before Day 1 of the trip. Sorry, no refunds within 50 days of tours, but please contact us as we will help you to rebook for another tour.
- Accommodations are usually booked as single occupancy unless you are traveling with others and would like to share accommodation (you are eligible for the shared room discount).
- Please book your international travel early. Most participants work with a travel agent that has experience booking flights to and from your destination. We are happy to pass along recommended travel agents. RWI is a member of Fly For Good, which offers flight discounts for those traveling on behalf of a charity. Our local Indian travel agency can assist you with lodging and touring in India before and after the trip begins if you would like. Please contact us for more information.