Colebrookdale Railroad Project – USA
August 3-8, 2018
Participate in one of the only US-based railroad restoration programs
The Colebrookdale Railroad, in Boyertown, Pennsylvania, USA, in partnership with Restoration Works, offers one of the only US-based opportunities to join a railroad restoration program. You’ll participate in hands-on restoration tasks, including painting and wood staining (train wheels, lamp posts, train interiors), landscape work, washing train interiors and exteriors. No special skills required – just a willingness to get a little dirty and have a lot of fun. It’s open to all ages (children aged 10-years-old and above; children must travel with a parent/guardian, please).
Located in southeast Pennsylvania, about a 1 ½-hour drive from Philadelphia, Colebrookdale Railroad opened in 1859, connecting the country’s first iron-making sites. Now the cornerstone of an ambitious plan to increase visitors to the region, it operates as an 8.6-mile tourist line as expansion work continues. The railroad’s rehabilitation as a heritage tourist railroad plays a major role in the region’s community and economic development plan, bringing visitor dollars, creating jobs and helping local businesses grow, while preserving a unique and important part of the local culture.
Trip Dates: August 3-8, 2018
DAY 1, Friday
Arrive in time to join for our Meet and Greet at 8pm. Meet your fellow volunteers over welcome beverages and local treats, and collect your official work t-shirt and swag bag. Members of Colebrookdale RR and Restoration Works International will explain more about their work, your role in this project, and what’s in store for the days ahead.
DAY 2, Saturday
Arrive at the railroad site in time for our 9am start. We’ll take a tour of the site, meet our crew leaders, and get down to work. We’ll break at 1pm for picnic lunch on site, and then back to work until 4pm. Your evening is free.
DAY 3, Sunday
Arrive at the railroad site in time for our 9am start. We’ll break at 1pm for a picnic lunch on site followed by a tour of historic Boyertown. Then back to work until 4pm. Your evening is free.
DAY 4, Monday
Arrive at the railroad site in time for our 9am start. We’ll break at 1pm for lunch on site, and then get cleaned up for our 2:30pm departure for our personalized tours of historic/art sites (choice of two nearby sites TBA). Your evening is free.
DAY 5, Tuesday
Arrive at the railroad site in time for our 9am start. We’ll break at 1pm for a picnic lunch on site, and then back to work until 4pm. We will meet back at the railroad (TIME TBA) for our special dinner aboard the train.
DAY 6, Wednesday
Arrive at the railroad site in time for our 9am start. Finish up projects, take final photos and say farewell to our new railroad friends. We’ll meet at 1pm for our farewell lunch at (LOCATION TBA).
Learn More or Register to Join One of Our Upcoming Trips
Trip Price: $1,110 per person
($825 for children under 18 sharing a room with a parent/guardian)
Your tour fee includes:
- Five nights’ accommodation with breakfast in Boyertown from Day 1 evening to Day 6 checkout
- All lunches, including farewell lunch celebration
- Welcome drinks/dessert on Day 1
- Farewell dinner aboard the train
- Choice of specially guided historic tour
- RWI past participants/alumni: 5% discount
- Colebrookdale members: 5% discount
- Sharing room with a Travel Partner: $150 off
- Accommodations are booked as single occupancy unless you are traveling with others and would like to share accommodation (both parties are eligible for a shared room discount)
- Children aged 10-17 are welcome (Children sharing a room with parent/guardian are charged $825)
- There is no ADA access
- Restoration Works International and the Colebrookdale Railroad Preservation Trust are registered 501(c)3 non-profit organizations. Tour fees are considered a tax deductible charitable donation for US tax filers. (Please consult your tax advisor.) Volunteer trip fees provide the funds by which we are able to purchase materials, fund programming and provide volunteer lodging, food and activities.
- Reservations are secured with a $300 deposit. The balance is due 60 days prior to the start of the trip. RWI will send an invoice as a reminder.
All participants are responsible for:
- Transportation to the site
- Proof of medical insurance
- A review of our Volunteer Information Pack, which you will receive upon payment of your deposit. It contains important information for pre-preparation, including a packing list and additional information about the site and area.
- Dinners (except the farewell dinner aboard the train), alcohol (except welcome drinks), and incidentals
- Deposits are refundable up to 60 days before Day 1 of the trip, less a $75 administration fee. Sorry, no refunds within 60 days of the tour, but please contact us, as we will help you to rebook another tour.
Extra Hands and Open Hearts
We believe in the value of work as the universal language that connects an individual’s commitment to a group effort, benefiting the larger community. We believe that by bringing people together to restore these historic sites, we provide opportunities to make new friends and help communities proudly celebrate their unique place in the world. Nearly 80% of your trip fee remains in the community, going to project costs, lodging and food.
Anyone can join a Restoration Works International trip. No previous construction or building experience is required – just a desire to make a difference in the lives of the local community.
Colebrookdale Railroad Project News
June 21, 7 PM Dryden, NY native Gretchen Worth will share about her work and journeys with the charity and the historic spaces they restore. The event is hosted by the Southworth Library Association, 24 W. Main Street, Dryden, NY 13053-0045. Free! For more information, visit Southworth Library Association online. [...]
Volunteers participating in the Restoration Works International project with Colebrookdale Railroad can look forward to a fun-filled six days. To learn more and claim your space, visit the Project Page. DAY 1, Friday Arrive in time to join for our Meet and Greet at 8pm. Meet your fellow volunteers over [...]
Space is extremely limited for the first volunteer trip to Restoration Works' new project with Colebrookdale Railroad. The six-day trip offers one of the only US-based opportunities to join a railroad restoration program. Volunteers will participate in hands-on restoration tasks, including painting and wood staining (train wheels, lamp posts, train [...]